Environment: VC5, VC6
When working, we often need to count how many lines our programmers have developed, including source code lines, comment lines, and blank lines. This software, Counting ver1.1, is designed for that purpose. At first, I developed it to count my VC++ source code. Later, it was upgraded to count files such as VB, Java, ASP, JSP, and so on. By comparison, I found Counting is quicker and more accurate than other means, especially for some unfamiliar instances.
- Accuracy. This function is absolutely necessary to any line-counting software. For that purpose, I created one test file (test.cpp), in which I designed some code lines that are reasonable but can easily be counted incorrectly. Counting (ver1.1) can count lines in test.cpp accurately.
- Speed. Due to proper process and good algorithms, Counting can count lines very quickly.
- Ease of use. Counting is easy to use and doesn’t need to be installed.
How to Use
- Input the file name or extension in the “file or extension” (such as .cpp;*.c;*.h or counting.cpp; setting.c; resource.h), separated by “: , :”. Click the combo box; you can select some extensions.
- Input the path in the “searching in” combo box.
- You can select whether to count in a subfolder.
- Click the “Count” button to begin counting; click it again to stop counting.
- You can click the “Save” button to save the counting result to a text file, Excel file, or CSV file.
- Double-click the control list to open the file.
- If both code and a comment lie on the same line, you can select a different method to count them in the Setting dialog box.
This software is an open source. You can use it freely but don’t remove any declaration about the author. Please let me know of any problems or improvements. Also, you can download the latest version on my personal home page. Thanks and good luck.