Direct usage of ODBC is very complex. Anybody who tries to work with ODBC can say it. Also, ODBC is a function-level interface. It is a good universal interface, but all structured C++ applications look very horrible when plain ODBC calls are used.
I want to offer a little library, which:
- Wraps access to ODBC into a set of classes
- Wraps processing of ODBC and usage errors into an exception mechanism
- Doesn’t use any external libraries, including MFC and ATL
- Doesn’t require any special conditions to use it
- Automates column binding operations
- Can automate (for MSSQL server) binding of parameters
- Can provide transparent work with LOB columns/parameters without limitation of their size
- Has a Help file, even if this Help file is simple
- Is freeware, open-source library
- Supports powerful local-side cursors with indexing and modifying of cursor(insert, update, delete) are supported
I sought such a library for some years, but I didn’t find a library that conforms to all these conditions. Because I have used ODBC in many projects, some classes were developed some time ago. Now I have refined these classes. And I hope that these classes can help somebody.
Download source – ~140 Kb
Contains sources of library and Help files.
Download demo project – ~70 Kb
Contains project with a demonstration of the library usage.