OData, the Open Data Protocol, is Microsofts alternative to Googles GData. If youve heard Microsoft use the codename Astoria or talk about ADO.Net Data Services in the past, these two codenames are now under the larger OData umbrella. Microsoft defines OData as a protocol that builds on top of HTTP, Atom Publishing Protocol (AtomPub) and JSON to provide access to information from a variety of applications, services, and stores. Microsoft is building OData support into a number of its products, including SharePoint Server 2010, Excel 2010, Dallas, its Dynamics products, and its MediaRoom IPTV offerings.
The OData SDK, announced today, bundles Microsofts various OData clients for Java, PHP, PalmOS, .Net, and (as of today), the iPhone into a single package. Microsoft officials also said during Wednesdays Mix keynote that Microsoft is open-sourcing the .Net OData client, under an Apache license
Heres some more information about OData answered by Microsoft Software Architect Doug Purdy:
- Microsoft used the Mix conference this week to introduce its OData concepts and technologies to Web designers and developers. Previously, Microsoft had focused on enterprise users and developers when explaining its OData strategy. Microsoft announced today that Netflix would be making movie data available via OData one of the first consumer-focused sets of data that are being exposed via that protocol.
- There are scenarios where users/developers might want to mash up consumer and enterprise data exposed via OData, Purdy said. He cited, as an example, a company that might want to get advertising and subscription data from Twitter or Facebook, as an example.
- Around the time of the November PDC, Microsoft realized we needed to decouple the (OData) protocol from our implementation, Purdy said. Microsoft is currently evaluating whether to take OData to a standards body, like IETF or W3C, to make OData an official standard, or whether it will continue to champion the protocol as a de facto standard.
- Purdy said hes had continual discussions with Google about OData and when/whether Google and MIcrosoft might join forces to open up more data using this kind of protocol.
- Whats the connection between OData and SQL Azure? Today, Microsoft announced it is making available some time this week an OData service for SQL Azure. In addition, the existing Azure Table Storage service already exposes all of its data as OData, Purdy said.
Microsoft Updates: Microsoft delivers updates on Microsoft Azure developer Windows Services: OData, Houston, Dallas