WEBINAR: On-demand webcast
How to Boost Database Development Productivity on Linux, Docker, and Kubernetes with Microsoft SQL Server 2017 REGISTER >
After a successful .NET installation, you are probably frustrated that Visual Studio .NET can't access samples files from the help.
When you select a sample file from the help, Visual Studio .NET requests the CD3 but if you take a look on the CD's, you will quickly notice that the samples files are located on the CD1. Replacing the CD3 from the CD1 doesn't solve the problem because VS .NET always requests CD3! If you copy the samples to another drive, you can't change the drive letter that VS .NET use also if you have a browse button to change it.
The best solution is
- Assign the CD drive letter before installing .NET for example "X:"
- Install .NET with this CD drive letter
- Copy X:\Samples to C:\ from CD1
- Copy X:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio.NET\msdn to C: from CD2 and CD3
- Add a batch file to the start-up folder with "SUBST V: C:\"
- Assign the CD drive letter back to another drive (for example "D:")
.NET help and samples is about 1.5GB!