Virtual Developer Workshop: Containerized Development with Docker
Environment: VC6 SP5, Windows XP SP1p
Based on the article "Encrypting and Decrypting Sensitive Data Using CryptoAPI" by Jorge Lodos in the Miscellaneous/CryptoAPI section and many questions in the forum (how to encrypt/decrypt a string—also from me), I have adapted this project for this purpose. My project doesn't use the Registry; the string is returned from the function.
- Initialize CryptoAPI.
- Encryption function that takes the original string and the key.
- Decryption function that takes the encrypted string and the key and returns the decrypted function.
The prototypes for the functions are:
BOOL SetupCryptoClient(); BOOL EncryptString(TCHAR* szPassword,TCHAR* szEncryptPwd,TCHAR *szKey); BOOL DecryptString(TCHAR* szEncryptPwd,TCHAR* szPassword,TCHAR *szKey);
The meanings of the functions and parameters are following:
BOOL SetupCryptoClient();Initialize the crypto client
BOOL EncryptString(TCHAR* szPassword,TCHAR* szEncryptPwd,TCHAR *szKey)Encrypt a string:
- Where szPassword is the original password,
- szEncryptPwd is the result, and
- szKey is the key for encryption.
BOOL DecryptString(TCHAR* szEncryptPwd,TCHAR* szPassword,TCHAR *szKey)Decrypt a string:
- Where szEncryptPwd is the encrypted password,
- szPassword is the decrypted password, and
- szKey is the key for decryption, which must be the same as in the encryption function.
The main routine of the console application should explain the function of the encryption/decryption functions.
Condition for Compiling
It costs me hours to resolve a compiler error where the data type HCRYPTPROV is not defined. The reason:
- clear the #define WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN (doesn't compile often-used parts)
- #define _WIN32_WINNT 0x0400
- For Linker: add library "advapi32.lib" in settings
Considerations for the C++ Class
- Generate a class: for example, CCryptString.
- In the constructor, call the init-function SetupCryptoClient and save the result in a member variable.
- Copy the encryption/decryption functions in the class.
The second program contains an example of such a class and also the usage.
For background information about decryption, read the above-mentioned article and the MSDN. A lot of stuff also be found on the Internet.
I hope this project meets your expectations.
If you found any errors, please let me know. If I have time, I will implement solutions to the errors found.
Ing. Georg Hasenöhrl
Working as a software developer (C++/VB/SQL) at Hakom (IT Consulting)
DownloadsCrypt String with C-functions - 5 Kb
Crypt String as C class - 6 Kb