Using T-SQL CROSS APPLY and OUTER APPLY

Introduction

Part of my self-imposed job has always been to learn and adopt new technologies. As part of that process, I share what I learn by writing about it. The amount of information and content that is produced each year is much, much than anyone person can master, so I choose. Generally, I focus on OO technologies and languages, UML, design patterns, refactoring, and SQL. As a general rule, these areas have worked out pretty well for me. Unfortunately, the trade offs are that I may never master Ruby or really understand the difference between Ruby and Ruby on Rails. I am at peace with this decision.

That said, even though my personal focus is pretty much OO, I still miss stuff. SQL Server 2005 came out with the CROSS APPLY and OUTER APPLY operators and I have just started learning how to use APPLY in the last month or so. When I think I have it figured out, I am fortunate enough that some of you are interested in reading about my understanding of the technology.

From the MSDN help "the APPLY operator allows you to invoke a table-valued function for each row returned by an outer table expression of a query. The table-valued function acts as the right input and the outer table acts as the left input." Hunh?! Technically, I understand table-valued function, left and right input, but this explanation doesn't really tell me about why I need this or when it's needed. The help documentation doesn't tell me what to do with APPLY. So, this article represents me processing and compartmentalizing APPLY, which will help me know when it should be pulled out of my toolbox and used.

This article is not a comprehensive definition of APPLY nor does it contain all scenarios. Really, the article represents one scenario, but one that is especially useful to me.

Understanding Single Table Hierarchies

A common problem is representing hierarchies of data in a database. A solution is to put all data in a hierarchy in a single table—like employees and managers—and have establish the relationships with keys. For example, AdventureWorks does this with the HumanResources.Employee and Person.Contact tables. Employee contains employees, which in turn includes managers and represents the hierarchical information, and Contact contains information such as the Employee's first and last name.

A classic way to represent a hierarchy is with genealogical relationships—mom and dad, grandpa and grandma, daughters and sons. For instance, any person has one set of parents, so two keys—on for mom and one for dad—and any row representing a person has two keys referring to that person's parents. Siblings would have identical parent identifiers, step-siblings would have at least one parent key in common, and aunts, uncles, cousins, and so forth could also be figured out.

To generate CROSS APPLY and OUTER APPLY, you can use the script in Listing 1 to create a simple table containing a single person with additional keys to that person's parents. Copy and paste the code into Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio (the Expression version of the same) and run the script.

Listing 1: A table named People that has columns that refer to other rows in the same table; the other rows represent "parents".

Use Genealogy
Go

--Create People table and insert values.
CREATE TABLE People
(
   PersonID   int         NOT NULL,
   MotherID   int         NULL,
   FatherID   int         NULL,
   Name       varchar(25) NOT NULL,
   CONSTRAINT PK_People PRIMARY KEY(PersonID),
)
GO

INSERT INTO People VALUES(1  , NULL, NULL, 'Jack Symons')
INSERT INTO People VALUES(2  , NULL, NULL, 'Marvel Symons')
INSERT INTO People VALUES(3  , NULL, NULL, 'Anna Kimmel')
INSERT INTO People VALUES(4  , NULL, NULL, 'Frank Kimmel')
INSERT INTO People VALUES(5  , 2, 1,       'Jacqueline Benavides')
INSERT INTO People VALUES(6  , 3, 4,       'Gerald Kimmel')
INSERT INTO People VALUES(7  , 5, 6,       'Kathy Hemenway')
INSERT INTO People VALUES(8  , 5, 6,       'Daniel Kimmel')
INSERT INTO People VALUES(9  , 5, 6,       'David Kimmel')
INSERT INTO People VALUES(10 , 5, 7,       'Robert Benavides')
INSERT INTO People VALUES(11 , 5, 7,       'Nicholas Benavides')
INSERT INTO People VALUES(12 , 5, 6,       'James Kimmel')
INSERT INTO People VALUES(13 , 5, 6,       'Paul Kimmel')
INSERT INTO People VALUES(14 , NULL, NULL, 'Lori Kimmel')
INSERT INTO People VALUES(15 , NULL, NULL, 'David Benavides')
INSERT INTO People VALUES(16 , 14, 13,     'Alex Kimmel')
INSERT INTO People VALUES(17 , 14, 13,     'Noah Kimmel')

GO

If you mapped this out, one branch of the hierarchy would show Gerald Kimmel and Jacqueline Benavides as my parents. My PersonID is 13, my MotherID is 5, and FatherID is 6. Everyone with 5 and 6 for parent IDs are my siblings.

The challenge is this: "How can you write a single query that will correctly return a hierarchy of relationships against a single table?"

Using CROSS APPLY

It is worth stating that child, mother, and father can be retrieved based on the People table by using a self join (see Listing 2). By joining People.MotherID on People.PersonID and People.FatherID on People.PersonID, you can build the hierarchy in the preceding scenario.

Listing 2: Use multiple self joins to build the hierarchy results.

select p1.Name as MyName, p2.Name AS Mother, p3.Name As Father
from people p1 left join people p2 on p1.MotherID =
   p2.PersonID left join people p3 on p1.FatherID = p3.PersonID

However, there are limitations. You can't use a table valued function passing in an outer query parameter, and you can't use a nested subquery that returns multiple rows. For example, given a function GetParents (see Listing 3) that accepts PersonID and returns mom and dad information, you cannot use the outer query PersonID to invoke the function (see Listing 4).

Listing 3: A table-value function that returns mom and dad information.

USE [Genealogy]
GO
/****** Object:  UserDefinedFunction [dbo].[GetParents]
        Script Date: 01/22/2009 14:29:00 ******/
SET ANSI_NULLS ON
GO
SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
GO
ALTER FUNCTION [dbo].[GetParents](@PersonID int)
RETURNS @Parents TABLE
(
   [PersonID] [int] PRIMARY KEY NOT NULL,
   [Self] [varchar](25),
   [Mother] [varchar](25) NULL,
   [Father] [varchar](25) NULL
)
AS
BEGIN
   INSERT INTO @Parents
   SELECT
      p1.PersonID,
      p1.Name AS [Self],
      p2.[Name] AS Mother,
      p3.[Name] AS Father FROM
      People p1 INNER JOIN People p2 ON
      p1.MotherID = p2.PersonID INNER JOIN
      People p3 ON p1.FatherID = p3.PersonID
   WHERE
      p1.PersonID = @PersonID;
   RETURN;
END;

Listing 4: This code won't work because the outer query value cannot be passed to the function.

select p1.PersonID, p1.Name, GetParents(p1.PersonID)
FROM People p1

There are a lot of reasons you might prefer a function—the function already exists, code reuse, and isolation. Here is where CROSS APPLY shines. In the presence of a function, you can use CROSS APPLY to invoke the GetParents function, passing in the PersonID from the select to the function (see Listing 5).

Listing 5: CROSS APPLY returns the same data as the multiple inner joins and call the function with a value from the select statement.

select p1.PersonID, p1.Name, p2.Mother, p2.Father
FROM People p1
CROSS APPLY GetParents(p1.PersonID) p2

Listing 5 returns the hierarchy where there is a father and mother. If you change CROSS APPLY to OUTER APPLY, you will get rows without parents. In short, CROSS APPLY responds similarly to an INNER JOIN and OUTER APPLY responds similarly to a LEFT JOIN. Listing 6 contains a complete solution with CROSS APPLY and no function, and Listing 7 shows the OUTER APPLY with no function.

Listing 6: Assembling the self, mother, and father data where there are mothers and fathers using CROSS APPLY.

SELECT p1.PersonID, p1.[Name], M.Name as Mother,
   F.Name As Father FROM PEOPLE p1
CROSS APPLY
(SELECT p2.PersonID, p2.[Name] FROM PEOPLE p2
   WHERE p1.MotherID = p2.PersonID) M
CROSS APPLY
(SELECT PersonID, [Name] FROM PEOPLE p3
   WHERE p1.FatherID = p3.PersonID) F

Listing 7: Assembling the self, father, and mother data where either the father and/or mother data is null using OUTER APPLY.

SELECT p1.PersonID, p1.[Name], M.Name as Mother,
   F.Name As Father FROM PEOPLE p1
OUTER APPLY
(SELECT p2.PersonID, p2.[Name] FROM PEOPLE p2
   WHERE p1.MotherID = p2.PersonID) M
OUTER APPLY
(SELECT PersonID, [Name] FROM PEOPLE p3
   WHERE p1.FatherID = p3.PersonID) F

Because there is no function call in Listings 6 and 7, you could implement the same result set using multiple INNER JOINs in Listing 6 and multiple LEFT JOINs in Listing 7. If you introduced a function, the joins will not work; use APPLY instead.

Summary

The big picture here is that values from one query can't be used as parameters to join queries or sub-queries if those queries return more than one result. If you need data from one query as input to a function or want to allow multiple rows to return, you want to use APPLY. Use CROSS APPLY to get only rows where a correlated value exists and use OUTER APPLY if you want to permit nulls in the result set.

About the Author

Paul Kimmel is the VB Today columnist for www.codeguru.com and has written several books on object-oriented programming and .NET. Check out his upcoming book LINQ Unleashed for C#, now available on Amazon.com and at fine bookstores everywhere. Look for his upcoming book Teach Yourself the ADO.NET Entity Framework in 24 Hours. Paul is a consultant to Developer Express, Inc. You may contact him for technology questions at pkimmel@softconcepts.com.

Copyright © 2009 by Paul T. Kimmel. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

• Application Developer

Posted by Shaun McGuile on 06/10/2014 12:58am

The Article is fine and a good explanation, however I think you want to change your initial data UPDATE PEOPLE SET FatherID = 15 WHERE PersonID IN (10,11) Otherwise your sister is father to your step brothers....

• Edición Limitada GHD preciosos Set de regalo para la venta en España

Posted by uquclf770 on 07/25/2013 09:39pm

plancha de pelo ghd utiliza placas de cerámica para liso, fácil de moldear. Control de la tensión, puede crear el más apropiado entre las placas cerámicas de pelo liso. El producto también tiene el mismo anión, la conservación de hacer que el cabello suave y brillante, para evitar el pánico. Cuerpo con una configuración de calor digitales, pantalla digital hace que sea fácil seleccionar la función deseada o ajustar la forma de la temperatura. Puede ayudar a elegir el pelo bien y la temperatura deseada. Pulse un botón, tendrá un efecto perfecto de inmediato. 1 función de apagado automático hora le permite utilizar más paz de la mente. Planchas ghd como operación segura y simple. Ocupar gran cuota de mercado. Convertido en una moda de comprar. Debido a esto, a menudo parece falsa, por lo que cada vez más personas están comprando auténticos planchas ghd. Nuestra tienda, aunque las ventas de negro pelo ghd. Pero somos productos ghd regulares. No traen todo tipo de daño fuego falso. Nuestro producto de mapa con el mapa físico es exactamente el mismo. Para asegurar que los productos reales y fiables. Y vendemos planchas ghd baratas, 7 * 24 funciones en línea, usted puede comprar en cualquier momento. Siempre y cuando haya seleccionado el tipo deseado, complete la información personal, etc temas relacionados, el producto puede ser enviado directamente a las manos de espera. Por favor, comprar productos ghd sentimientos antes, mira a nuestra política de privacidad, Quiénes somos, transporte, preguntas más frecuentes y las políticas más relevantes, esto le ayudará a comprar nuestros productos. Gracias por tu colaboración. [url=http://planchaspeloghdes.qsite.dk/]planchas GHD España[/url] Alisadores de pelo GHD son los últimos de una amplia gama de equipos Incluso mejor que se les paga para salvar el planeta! El gobierno británico está tratando de promover el reciclaje de productos obsoletos y defectuosos de las organizaciones y de los hombres y mujeres, y hay muchos cursos intensivos de dinero para hacerlo. También puede considerar la basura de coche o camión en las antiguas placas ghdque esquema fueron comprados por dinero en efectivo para un coche nuevo, muchas organizaciones están utilizando este vehículo para aumentar las ventas de productos. Posiblemente también monedas de oro para los anuncios y reciclaje de teléfonos móviles en la prensa nacional y en tv.I una palabra, la plancha de pelo GHD es la mejor opción para proteger tu cabello del daño, por lo que es más seguro, para descomponerse en el mercado. [url=http://planchaspeloghdes.qsite.dk/]GHD España[/url] Planchas GHD hacer mucho más que producir suaves, directamente diseños. Su propio estilo ofrece platos curvas y ofertas, por lo tanto, de la misma unidad de diseño que sólo tiene que hacer uso de corregir alguien bloquea también puede poner, cambiar y afluencia. Este particular elimina la necesidad real de una serie de problemáticas Recursos de diseño inodoro abajo encimera. pelo ghd australia claro que mi grupo es algo realmente hija de aspecto sencillo en la vida real. Además de eso, que he implementado ni siquiera tiene que ser un saludable dentro del estilo es mirar a un niño. Ciertamente, contiene los factores alentaron la confianza. Explícitamente, la próxima creación, Marca requerir mucha más confianza. Inicialmente innovador, yo me crié un aspecto visual para incorporar diversos confianza para ayudarle a mí personalmente.

• OszIg ORh oUKe

Posted by RyLVVFcupS on 06/14/2013 01:15pm

propecia price cheap propecia india - propecia cost walgreens

• Wat zou maken sportactiviteiten beweging sterren komen gaat worden kopers van Studio

Posted by mrswanzi on 06/06/2013 11:03pm

[url=http://koptelefoon-monsterbeats.blogspot.com/]beats by dre[/url] de Beats Tour oordopjes zorgen voor een verbazingwekkende driver design. 20hz lijkt een beetje hoger met een oordopje dat verklaringen te ontwikkelen om 'goede reproductie van de dij hop ". meestal de verminderde waarde van zo heel veel van de veel beter de bas. Van know-how 14 Hz kan eventueel worden de optimale waarde. Beats by dre pro rood zwart Zoals geciteerd door de methode van de kwaliteit van de Tour de lijst: ". Grote, high-efficiency automobilisten laat u toe om zeker Crank It Up en voldoening te halen uit hardop uit te houden zonder geluid-wrecking vervorming" Driver dimensie behoort tot een van de meest essentile factoren om uit te checken uit voor bij het krijgen van oordopjes. [url=http://koptelefoon-monsterbeats.blogspot.com/]monster beats koptelefoon[/url] Het toestel komtondersteunt zowel Bluetooth als NFC en komt met ingebouwde microfoon, zodat je je telefoongesprekken via het toestel kan voeren. Naast de Executive lanceert Beats ook een draagbare muziekspeler: de Beats Pill. Die kreeg zijn naam dankzij zijn langwerpige, afgeronde vorm. Beat by dre hoofdtelefoons hebben iets speciaals. De meeste muziek producers en artiesten steken veel moeite in hun opnamesessies om hun sound te perfectioneren. Helaas zullen deze geluiden het grootste deel van de tijd hun luisteraars nooit bereiken, dit komt door de lage kwaliteits koptelefoons die worden gebruikt door de luisteraars. [url=http://koptelefoon-monsterbeats.webspawner.com/]beats by dre[/url] Tijdens de afgelopen Olympische Spelen werd de populariteit van de Monster Beats by Dr. Dre hoofdtelefoons weer aangetoond. Zelfs een waarschuwing van het IOC, het Internationaal Olympisch Comit¨¦, kon niet voorkomen dat diverse sporters voor hun wedstrijden te zien waren met een Beats by Dr. Dre op het hoofd. Want hoe komen deze koptelefoons aan de ongekende populariteit De Beats by Dr. Dre hoofdtelefoons zijn hot. Heel erg hot. Loop buiten een rondje en de kans is meer dan groot dat je tijdens dat rondje minstens ¨¦¨¦n exemplaar tegen komt. Achter de opkomst van deze hype zit een goed uitgedachte strategie. Want hoe komen deze koptelefoons aan de ongekende populariteit

• Good Example

Posted by Mark DeMoss on 03/20/2013 08:56am

Thanks for the clear example of when and how to use CROSS APPLY and OUTER APPLY. To me, these operators are not as intuitive as the varieties of JOIN. If I don't use them for a while, I have to relearn them. This will help next time.

• dffsd

Posted by Martinez on 02/27/2013 11:29pm

Way too much text. Who cares what you do in your job and what do you focus on?

• :D

Posted by Vinicius Paiva on 01/30/2013 11:16am

Very helpful guide, easy to understand. Thanks for sharing!

Leave a Comment
  • Your email address will not be published. All fields are required.

Top White Papers and Webcasts

• The explosion in mobile devices and applications has generated a great deal of interest in APIs. Today's businesses are under increased pressure to make it easy to build apps, supply tools to help developers work more quickly, and deploy operational analytics so they can track users, developers, application performance, and more. Apigee Edge provides comprehensive API delivery tools and both operational and business-level analytics in an integrated platform. It is available as on-premise software or through …

• Live Event Date: September 10, 2014 @ 11:00 a.m. ET / 8:00 a.m. PT Modern mobile applications connect systems-of-engagement (mobile apps) with systems-of-record (traditional IT) to deliver new and innovative business value. But the lifecycle for development of mobile apps is also new and different. Emerging trends in mobile development call for faster delivery of incremental features, coupled with feedback from the users of the app "in the wild". This loop of continuous delivery and continuous feedback is …

Most Popular Programming Stories

More for Developers

Latest Developer Headlines

RSS Feeds