FAQ: How to Open a URL or Send an E-Mail from a VB Application

I tried for hours and hours to find a good, simple code to make it possible for me to open a URL or send an e-mail from a link edited in a TextBox and not assigned in a LinkLabel. The answer is very simple: Just add the following code to a click event in a button:

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, _
        ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(TextBox1.Text)
End Sub

The contents of the text box must be http://www.something.com or mailto:info@something.com. Your default browser or mail application will open and perform the requested action.

Comments

• its not working??

Posted by eswar_525 on 10/24/2006 11:24am

hey its not working . i'm using VB 6.0 only. when i copied to try this code. it says Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, _ ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("http://www.mail.yahoo.com") End Sub the first two lines are in red color means some error is there(i dont know what it is) and when i tried to compile it says "Compiler error: Expected: end of statemnet" what is the problem or how to make it work?? Thanks.

Leave a Comment
  • Your email address will not be published. All fields are required.

Top White Papers and Webcasts

• IBM Worklight is a mobile application development platform that lets you extend your business to mobile devices. It is designed to provide an open, comprehensive platform to build, run and manage HTML5, hybrid and native mobile apps.

• Managing your company's financials is the backbone of your business and is vital to the long-term health and viability of your company. To continue applying the necessary financial rigor to support rapid growth, the accounting department needs the right tools to most efficiently do their job. Read this white paper to understand the 10 essentials of a complete financial management system and how the right solution can help you keep up with the rapidly changing business world.

Most Popular Programming Stories

More for Developers

Latest Developer Headlines

RSS Feeds