Removing Characters and Strings from a String (VB6)

I am often faced with a problem of a string that needs to have certain characters removed from it. With the advent of the <b>Replace() </b> function, the problem becomes more manageable. For instance, if you wanted to remove all of a's from a particular string, you could do the following:

Debug.print Replace("abababa", "a", "")

This is nice when you only have a single character that you want removed, but if you have a long list of suspects, you will have to do some serious copy and paste. You can avoid that by using the following function:

public Function StripOut(From as string, What as string) as string

Dim i as Integer

StripOut = From
    for i = 1 to len(What)
        StripOut = Replace(StripOut, mid$(What, i, 1), "")
    next i

End Function

Just place it somewhere in your code (preferably in a module), and call it like this:

Debug.print StripOut("abcdefg", "bdf")

This will return a string that had all of its 'b', 'd', and 'f' characters removed.

Comments

• Replace by any other name?

Posted by ahoodin on 08/05/2014 05:17am

How is this better?

• Replace Characters in VB String

Posted by Legacy on 06/07/2002 12:00am

Originally posted by: Partha

This is the simplest and best that I could found on the net when I searched for morethan an hour to figure out escaping the special characters in VB.
    This code straight away provided me the clue that I was looking for and saved my time a lot.
    Thanks a lot to the writer of this code.

• http://codeguru.developer.com/vb/articles/1761.shtml

Posted by Legacy on 02/27/2000 12:00am

Originally posted by: Sebastijan

The problem is how to stripout a word "cde" from "abcdefgccdecc cc cde cc"

Leave a Comment
  • Your email address will not be published. All fields are required.

Top White Papers and Webcasts

• This paper introduces IBM Java on the IBM PowerLinux 7R2 server and describes IBM's implementation of the Java platform, which includes IBM's Java Virtual Machine and development toolkit.

• A modern mobile IT strategy is no longer an option, it is an absolute business necessity. Today's most productive employees are not tied to a desk, an office, or a location. They are mobile. And your company's IT strategy has to be ready to support them with easy, reliable, 24/7 access to the business information they need, from anywhere in the world, across a broad range of communication devices. Here's how some of the nation's most progressive corporations are meeting the many needs of their mobile workers …

Most Popular Programming Stories

More for Developers

Latest Developer Headlines

RSS Feeds