Removing Characters and Strings from a String (VB6)

I am often faced with a problem of a string that needs to have certain characters removed from it. With the advent of the <b>Replace() </b> function, the problem becomes more manageable. For instance, if you wanted to remove all of a's from a particular string, you could do the following:

Debug.print Replace("abababa", "a", "")

This is nice when you only have a single character that you want removed, but if you have a long list of suspects, you will have to do some serious copy and paste. You can avoid that by using the following function:

public Function StripOut(From as string, What as string) as string

Dim i as Integer

StripOut = From
    for i = 1 to len(What)
        StripOut = Replace(StripOut, mid$(What, i, 1), "")
    next i

End Function

Just place it somewhere in your code (preferably in a module), and call it like this:

Debug.print StripOut("abcdefg", "bdf")

This will return a string that had all of its 'b', 'd', and 'f' characters removed.

• Replace by any other name?

Posted by ahoodin on 08/05/2014 05:17am

How is this better?

• Replace Characters in VB String

Posted by Legacy on 06/07/2002 12:00am

Originally posted by: Partha

This is the simplest and best that I could found on the net when I searched for morethan an hour to figure out escaping the special characters in VB.
    This code straight away provided me the clue that I was looking for and saved my time a lot.
    Thanks a lot to the writer of this code.

Posted by Legacy on 02/27/2000 12:00am

Originally posted by: Sebastijan

The problem is how to stripout a word "cde" from "abcdefgccdecc cc cde cc"

Leave a Comment
  • Your email address will not be published. All fields are required.

Top White Papers and Webcasts

• As the mobile enterprise marketplace expands and customer needs grow more diverse, Samsung recognizes that solution partners and developers play an essential role by continually innovating to meet their customers' needs. Samsung works to provide these developers and partners with the latest tools and resources needed to create these solutions. Read this program guide to learn how the Samsung Enterprise Alliance Program provides partners and developers with Samsung enterprise software development kits (SDKs) …

• Moving from an on-premises environment to Office 365 does not remove the need to plan for disruptions or reduce the business risk requirements for protecting email services. If anything, some risks increase with a move to the cloud. Read how to ease the transition every business faces if considering or already migrating to cloud email. This white paper discusses: Setting expectations when migrating to Office 365 Understanding the implications of relying solely on Exchange Online security Necessary archiving …

Most Popular Programming Stories

More for Developers

RSS Feeds

Thanks for your registration, follow us on our social networks to keep up-to-date