Detecting Mouse-Clicks Globally

This code sample shows how to detect a mouse click anywhere on the desktop and on any window.

screen-shot

The code works by utilising the GetAsyncKeyState API call that can check the status of keyboard and mouse input at any point in a programs processing.

A form is used with a timer that fires every 10th of a second to check for the VK_LBUTTON and VK_RBUTTON keystates (the left and right mouse buttons).

option Explicit

private Declare Function GetAsyncKeyState Lib "user32" _
        (byval vKey as Long) as Integer
private Const VK_LBUTTON = &H1
private Const VK_RBUTTON = &H2

private Sub Form_Load()
    Timer1.Interval = 100
End Sub

private Sub Timer1_Timer()
    If GetAsyncKeyState(VK_LBUTTON) then
        Label2.Caption = "Left Click"
    ElseIf GetAsyncKeyState(VK_RBUTTON) then
        Label2.Caption = "Right Click"
    else
        Label2.Caption = ""
    End If
End Sub
'

Download Zipped Project (3k)

Comments

• Stopping the fired event

Posted by Legacy on 09/14/2003 12:00am

Originally posted by: Gil Groman

Great Utility!

I would like to add to it the capability to stop the mouse click event.
    For example when clicking on the task bar the task button will not restore an application if my VB program will not
    allow it.
    And what about the Title bar? could it be supported too?

• Mouse Co-Ordinates

Posted by Legacy on 08/23/2003 12:00am

Originally posted by: Ram

Hi,

Good work1.But how to get the mouse coordinates when the user clicks on the window in this case(VK_LBUTTON)

Thnks

• Keyboard status?

Posted by Legacy on 07/10/2003 12:00am

Originally posted by: Phil Johnstone

You mentioned in your tutorial that 'GetAsyncKeyState API call that can check the status of keyboard and mouse input' I was just wondering how you get the status of the keyboard using that API. Thanks in advance.

• Awesome stuff

Posted by Legacy on 01/08/2003 12:00am

Originally posted by: Anthony Gill

Thanks for the code! I was dreading the task of digging through my Win32 API tome. :) Works perfect!

Leave a Comment
  • Your email address will not be published. All fields are required.

Top White Papers and Webcasts

• Packaged application development teams frequently operate with limited testing environments due to time and labor constraints. By virtualizing the entire application stack, packaged application development teams can deliver business results faster, at higher quality, and with lower risk.

• With 81% of employees using their phones at work, companies have stopped asking: "Is corporate data leaking from personal devices?" and started asking: "How do we effectively prevent corporate data from leaking from personal devices?" The answer has not been simple. ZixOne raises the bar on BYOD security by not allowing email data to reside on the device. In addition, Zix allows employees to maintain complete control of their personal device, therefore satisfying privacy demands of valued employees and the …

Most Popular Programming Stories

More for Developers

Latest Developer Headlines

RSS Feeds