Creating Translucent/Transparent Windows in VB (1)

Translucent/Transparent Windows in VB (1)

Definitions

Transparent: Fully see-through

Translucent: Partly transparent

Introduction

In this two-part article, I discuss how to get translucent/transparent windows. I'm writing two parts because I don't want to confuse anyone.

And, to keep things simple, I will not discuss the theory behind translucency in either part of this article. Part 1 will show you how to make the whole window translucent/transparent (the whole VB Form, including controls). The second part will show you how to make certain parts of the window transparent by using a color value. Here we go....

Just make these three API calls and you get a translucent/transparent window:

• GetWindowLong
  • SetWindowLong
  • SetLayeredWindowAttributes

GetWindowLong returns the window's attributes. We are interested in the GWL_EXSTYLE attribute.

Public Declare Function GetWindowLong Lib "user32" Alias
"GetWindowLongA" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal nIndex As Long) As Long
   hwnd : Handle to window(VB Form) ex. Me.hwnd

nIndex: offset of attribute (ex. GWL_EXSTYLE)

Return Value: The value of the requested attribute. For example:

dim attrib as long
   attrib = GetWindowLong(Me.hwnd, GWL_EXSTYLE)

We will use the value returned in the SetWindowLong function.

SetWindowLong sets the window's attributes. Again, we are interested in the GWL_EXSTYLE attribute.

Public Declare Function SetWindowLong Lib "user32"
       Alias "SetWindowLongA" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal _
       nIndex As Long, ByVal dwNewLong As Long) As Long

hwnd: Handle to window(VB Form) ex. Me.hwnd

nIndex: offset of attribute(ex. GWL_EXSTYLE)

Example:

dim attrib as long
   attrib = GetWindowLong(Me.hwnd, GWL_EXSTYLE)
   SetWindowLong Me.hwnd, attrib OR WS_EX_LAYERED

GWL_EXSTYLE must be set to WS_EX_LAYERED because the Set SetLayeredWindowAttributes function requires a handle to a layered window.

SetLayeredWindowAttributes is responsible for translucency.

Public Declare Function SetLayeredWindowAttributes Lib _
   "user32" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal color As _
   Long, ByVal bAlpha As Byte, _
   ByVal alpha As Long) As Boolean

hwnd: Handle to layered window. For example, Me.hwnd.

color: Color used to make areas of a window completely transparent (see Translucent/Transparent Windows in VB, Part 2).

bAlpha: Value between 0 (transparent) and 255 (opaque) for alpha blend function.

Flag: Value between 1 and 3. We will use 2 (alpha) in this part, and we will use 1 (ColorKey), 2, and 3 (Both) in Part 2 of this article.

The way it works is that we get the current GWL_EXSTYLE by using GetWindowLong, and then we make it layered by using an OR operation between its current value and WS_EX_LAYERED by using SetWindowLong, and finally we make it translucent by using SetLayeredWindowAttributes.

Okay. We have all our tools and we know what to do, so let's do it. I decided to make a little Sub SetTranslucent for the job.

Sub SetTranslucent(ThehWnd As Long, nTrans As Integer)
On Error GoTo ErrorRtn

Dim attrib As Long

'put current GWL_EXSTYLE in attrib
   attrib = GetWindowLong(ThehWnd, GWL_EXSTYLE)

'change GWL_EXSTYLE to WS_EX_LAYERED - makes a window layered
   SetWindowLong ThehWnd, GWL_EXSTYLE, attrib Or WS_EX_LAYERED

'Make transparent (RGB value does not have any effect at this
   'time, will in Part 2 of this article)
   SetLayeredWindowAttributes ThehWnd, RGB(0, 0, 0), nTrans, _
                                       LWA_ALPHA
   Exit Sub

ErrorRtn:
MsgBox Err.Description & " Source : " & Err.Source

End Sub

Now, just call the sub:

Private Sub Form_Load()
   SetTranslucent Me.hwnd, 150
End Sub

That's all there is to it. In Part 2, I discuss how to make 'holes' in your window by sending a ColorKey and a flag to the SetLayeredWindowAttributes function.

Downloads

Comments

• How to make Child Form Translucent?

Posted by Renovator on 05/25/2008 11:33am

I really like your Translucency code, it works great! But I would like to mak a Child Form translucent... If I make it translucent first and then make it a child it disappears... If I make it a Child first it doesn't become translucent... Is there a way to accomplish this?

• Extra Information

Posted by GTVic on 08/09/2006 03:26am

Setting window transparency will slow down the window redraw for example with scrolling lists.

The code should be adjusted so that if the transparency is removed (by setting to 255) then the window will revert back to its original state and redraw speed.

If nTrans = 255 Then
       SetWindowLong ThehWnd, GWL_EXSTYLE, attrib And (Not WS_EX_LAYERED)
    Else
       'change GWL_EXSTYLE to WS_EX_LAYERED - makes a window layered
       SetWindowLong ThehWnd, GWL_EXSTYLE, attrib Or WS_EX_LAYERED

'Make transparent (RGB value does not have any effect at this
       'time, will in Part 2 of this article)
       SetLayeredWindowAttributes ThehWnd, RGB(0, 0, 0), nTrans, _
                                           LWA_ALPHA
    End If

Other Notes:
    RGB value does not matter if only using LWA_ALPHA. If you use LWA_COLORKEY or LWA_BOTH then any colors on your screen matching the RGB value will become invisible. If you click in those areas the click will not register on the window but on the window or Desktop underneath.

Leave a Comment
  • Your email address will not be published. All fields are required.

Top White Papers and Webcasts

• Today's agile organizations pose operations teams with a tremendous challenge: to deploy new releases to production immediately after development and testing is completed. To ensure that applications are deployed successfully, an automatic and transparent process is required. We refer to this process as Zero Touch Deployment™. This white paper reviews two approaches to Zero Touch Deployment--a script-based solution and a release automation platform. The article discusses how each can solve the key …

• Learn How A Global Entertainment Company Saw a 448% ROI Every business today uses software to manage systems, deliver products, and empower employees to do their jobs. But software inevitably breaks, and when it does, businesses lose money -- in the form of dissatisfied customers, missed SLAs or lost productivity. PagerDuty, an operations performance platform, solves this problem by helping operations engineers and developers more effectively manage and resolve incidents across a company's global operations. …

Most Popular Programming Stories

More for Developers

RSS Feeds