A class for API Created Dynamic Menus

For some controls In my current project, I wanted To be able To display a simple context menu using the Right mouse button.

The solution In plain VB uses an existing menu, which must be extended (at runtime Or at design Time). I found this unacceptable.

Searching the web offered the solution of using the API functions CreatePopupMenu(), TrackPopupMenu() And AppendMenu().

I extended the sample To work With a undetermined number of arguments, thus giving Me the flexibility I needed.

The presented Function Popup() assumes the user wants a context menu at the current mouse pointer location. The argument Array consists of menu items Or separators (presented by a Single dash). The user can Select a menu Item by using either the Left Or Right mouse button. The index of the chosen menu Item Is returned, Or zero If cancelled.

A simple usage of the class module could be : (on a list box)

private Sub List1_MouseUp(Button as Integer, Shift as Integer, _
      x as Single, y as Single)
    Dim oMenu as cPopupMenu
    Dim lMenuChosen as Long
'
    If Button = vbRightButton then
        set oMenu = new cPopupMenu
'
' Pass in the desired menu, use '-' for a separator
'
        lMenuChosen = oMenu.Popup("Menu 1", "Menu 2", "Menu 3", _
                "-", "Menu 4")
'
        Debug.print lMenuChosen
    End If
'
End Sub
'
'

Download Zipped Project File and API Menu Class (3k)

Comments

Leave a Comment
  • Your email address will not be published. All fields are required.

Top White Papers and Webcasts

• On-demand Event Event Date: May 18, 2015 While the idea of using facial and/or gesture recognition to create a modern, intuitive game seems attractive, some developers may want to leverage Unity 3D as a way to accelerate their development efforts. There are many different ways in which Intel and Unity Technologies have been working together to help speed the development of games with the Intel&reag; RealSense™ SDK (software developer kit). Check out this webcast to join a panel of experts as they …

• Companies rely on their telephone and voice systems to maintain services and products to their customers. Yet many experience outages with no plans in place to ensure a speedy recovery. A solid business continuity plan can help maintain uptime and reduce the headaches and fires IT has to deal with when an outage occurs. This white paper takes a deeper look into the common causes of voice failures, how companies deal with voice outages today, and how to determine the right business continuity solution for your …

Most Popular Programming Stories

More for Developers

RSS Feeds

Thanks for your registration, follow us on our social networks to keep up-to-date