ListView - Sorting by Number or Date

ListView - Sorting by Number or Date

The ListView control that comes with MSCOMCTL.OCX isn't too bad. It supplies us with most of the things that we need, and makes them incredibly easy to code. As a VC++ developer I can tell you that most of the features that we all take for granted can be a real pig to implement using the MFC and API calls.

One thing that this control is sadly lacking in, however, is the ability to sort by number or date. It would also appear to be something that a lot of people are asking for.

My first attempt at implementing this involved using APIs to talk directly to the ListView window. It was fast and did just the job that I wanted. It did, however, have one major drawback - Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, have given VB developers a wrapper for the ListView window which stores its own internal collection of listitem data, rather than referencing the window's own data. The result of this is not only that two copies of the data are stored in memory (Bloatware? It gets my vote...), but if you try to manipulate the listview directly, then all the VB collections go out of synch with what's displayed on-screen. BIG problem!

For my second attempt, I decided to take a step back, and try something simpler. I decided to make use of the alphabetical sort that has been implemented with the control. It involves locking the window so that no changes in the data are reflected on-screen, re-formatting the list items so that they may be sorted alphabetically, sorting them, and then restoring the original data before unlocking and refreshing the ListView. I know that this is a pig of a way to do things, but it works!

The good news it that the sort is surprisingly fast. On my machine (a PII 350 with 64Mb RAM running NT4), sorting by number takes about 0.4 milliseconds per listitem (when running in the IDE), and by date takes around 0.35ms.

This certainly isn't THE way to sort ListItems by number or date, but it'll me do until Microsoft supply a custom sort for the ListView control.

Download Zipped Project File (4k)

Screen shot

Comments

• The Crucial Element In order to master the mizuno-market Is Really Straight forward!

Posted by Acuddence on 04/30/2013 01:46pm

Hot questions about nike clarified and why you should view every statement of this article.[url=http://www.nikejpgolf.biz/]ナイキゴルフ[/url] A major double sprain on nike [url=http://www.nikejpgolf.biz/nike-ゴルフボール-c-23.html]nikegolf[/url] Advanced queries about mizuno have been answered and as a result the reason why you must view every message on this insider report. [url=http://www.nikejpgolf.biz/nike-アイアン-c-1.html]ナイキクラブ[/url] Unbiased website lets out Three fresh stuff about mizuno that no-one is bringing up. [url=http://www.nikejpgolf.biz/nike-アイアン-c-1.html]nike ゴルフ[/url] The mizuno Market Dialogue - - Who loves practically nothing gains all perks? [url=http://www.nikejpgolf.biz/nike-ゴルフシューズ-c-15.html]ナイキ nike[/url] Goods and fabrication in Austin -- nike will leave with no hasta la vista [url=http://www.nikeyasuyi.com/]nike free[/url] Objects and development throughout Indiana -- mizuno has left with no regards [url=http://www.nikeyasuyi.com/nikeナイキRunning-c-3.html]ナイキランニング[/url] The main nike Small business Meaning - The Employees Who loves nothing benefits?!? [url=http://www.nikeyasuyi.com/nikeナイキDunk-c-9.html]nike シューズ[/url] The nike Provider Dialog - - Who cares about next to nothing benefits? [url=http://www.nikeyasuyi.com/nikeナイキDunk-c-9.html]nike シューズ[/url] nike adds new life span to an old challenge- defacto customary

• More concessions with herveleger, more flabbergast!

Posted by Mrtopfliclm on 04/20/2013 02:09am

wenchburberry bags christian louboutin boots house-servanttoms outlet sale contentmentburberry bags outlet toms outlet online purloinchristian louboutin pumps allowabletoms outlet online sales-clerk down the river

• JonasK

Posted by JonasK on 03/01/2011 02:28am

ten points

• Let ListView sort dates and numbers itself

Posted by UnderMan on 04/29/2007 02:50pm

Just add two more columns with zero lengths to retain extra data.  Pad numbers with leading zeros: Format(a, "000000"), store dates without slashes or commas: Format(d, "mmddyy"), and store them in the hidden columns.  When displayed date or amount columns are chosen, reference the sort to the hidden columns instead.  Voila, sorted without a sort routine.  It's inherently sorted from the get go.  Save all the column information, including the hidden ones, in a file for retrieval on start up.

Private Sub Form_Load()
        'Randomly add dates, amounts, and text to listview
        'lvMain is the name of the listview box
        'Using two extra columns for the date and amount sort data
        Randomize
        For x = 1 To 365
            Set lx = lvMain.ListItems.Add
            l = Date + Int(Rnd * 90) + 1                '90 days from today
            m = Rnd * 250 + 1                           'Up to $250.00 spent
            lx.Text = Format(l, "MMM dd/yy")            'Displayed date
            lx.SubItems(1) = Format(m, "##0.00")        'Displayed amount
            lx.SubItems(2) = Format(l, "mmddyy")        'for date sorting, hidden
            lx.SubItems(3) = Format(m * 100, "0000000") 'for amount sorting, hidden
            d = ""
            For m = 1 To 4
                d = d + Chr(Int(Rnd * 26) + 65)
            Next
            lx.SubItems(4) = d
        Next
        'Don't want any item to be selected when form first opens
        'user selects it himself/herself
        If Not lvMain.SelectedItem Is Nothing Then
            lvMain.SelectedItem.Selected = False
            Set lvMain.SelectedItem = Nothing
        End If
        Sum_It
    End Sub 'Form_Load

Private Sub lvMain_ColumnClick(ByVal ColumnHeader As MSComctlLib.ColumnHeader)
        If ColumnHeader = "Amount" Then
            'If column is clicked once, sort in ascending order,
            'clicked a 2nd time sort in descending order
            'same goes for date and text columns
            If lvMain.Tag <> "Amount" Then
                lvMain.Tag = "Amount"
                lvMain.SortOrder = 1
            End If
            lvMain.Sorted = True
            lvMain.SortKey = 4 - 1
            lvMain.SortOrder = 1 Xor lvMain.SortOrder
        ElseIf ColumnHeader = "Date" Then
            If lvMain.Tag <> "Date" Then
                lvMain.Tag = "Date"
                lvMain.SortOrder = 1
            End If
            lvMain.Sorted = True
            lvMain.SortKey = 3 - 1
        Else
            If lvMain.Tag <> ColumnHeader Then
                lvMain.Tag = ColumnHeader
                lvMain.SortOrder = 1
            End If
            lvMain.Sorted = True
            lvMain.SortKey = ColumnHeader.Index - 1
        End If
    End Sub 'lvMain_ColumnClick

Private Sub Sum_It()
        'Sum "Amount" column
        For x = 1 To lvMain.ListItems.Count
            c = c + Val(lvMain.ListItems(x).SubItems(1))
        Next
        lblTotal = c
    End Sub 'Sum_It

• Better version of: ListView - Sorting by Number or Date

Posted by thomasholme on 07/28/2004 04:21am

I had to use this is a database application with more than 20 listviews, thus I have moved the sort part into it'w own function and I have added the option to sort mixed strings (e.g. 2940.65 $) wich are stored in the DB I have to interface. Please email me if you would like to get my new version of the project. thomas@openmpeg4.org Again, Thanks Pete for a great contribution

• What a great solution, so much better than callbacks!!

Posted by o2simple on 07/23/2004 01:51pm

There are tons of examples using callbacks
    and they all suffer from the collecitons getting out of sync.  Do they really expect that no one will use SelectedItem after a sort?  We are using .NET now but we still have a ton of legacy code, and users are tired of double clicking a listitem and having it open the wrong one! Thanx for this great solution.  Its even way faster than my old way using callbacks.

• very nice

Posted by Legacy on 10/02/2003 12:00am

Originally posted by: Willem Laarman

Thank you very much..

I have been looking for a function like this for a long time. It works great!

• Thank yous

Posted by Legacy on 07/23/2003 12:00am

Originally posted by: Au

Help me much...

• A Solution At Last

Posted by Legacy on 05/29/2003 12:00am

Originally posted by: Terry

Finally, a workable solution for my app!  I've been struggling with figuring out how to allow my users to sort some reports that range from a few records up to 50000+. My alternatives thusfar were unsatisfactory:

- Text sort on every column regardless of the column data type.
    - Use the Win API sort method, but screw up the tag information.
    - Export the data to an multi dimensional array, sort it and re-populate the control, which gave me two results:
    - Use a quicksort algorithm, which was fairly fast
    but would give a stack space error when sorting
    more than 3000 records.
    - Use a slower non-recursive sort method
    (i.e. shell sort) which didn't crash but would take
    up to an hour to sort on the huge lists.

Now I can give users good data-aware sorting without the crashing and in a reasonable amount of time (+-10 seconds for numeric sort on 50000 records.)

It is depressing that the ListView control isn't smart enough to do this for us, but at least now we have an adequate work around. Hokey or not, it works!

Thanks again!

• Work great

Posted by Legacy on 05/16/2003 12:00am

Originally posted by: Gary

After missing around for a few days with Microsoft solution (Article 170884) 'Sort a ListView Control by Date', I was glad to find your solution. It works great!!!.

• Loading, Please Wait ...

Leave a Comment
  • Your email address will not be published. All fields are required.

Top White Papers and Webcasts

• As a development and deployment platform, RHEL offers an efficient, scalable, and robust operating environment with certified security and flexible deployment options in physical and virtualized environments. To assess and quantify the business benefits of RHEL, IDC recently conducted in-depth interviews with IT staff members of 21 companies using RHEL servers. The organizations represent a broad range of industries and have an average of 22,700 employees. RHEL servers accounted for 23% of the servers …

• Mobile is introducing sweeping changes throughout your workplace. As a senior stakeholder driving mobile initiatives in your organization, you may be lost in a sea of technologies and claims from vendors promising rapid delivery of applications to your employees, customers, and partners. To help explain some of the topics you will need to be aware of, and to separate the must-haves from the nice-to-haves, this reference guide can help you with applying a mobile strategy in the context of application …

Most Popular Programming Stories

More for Developers

Latest Developer Headlines

RSS Feeds