Easy Method of Writing And Reading Small Text Files

In a production application, every time you want to access a file for reading or writing, you have to retrieve a free handle using the FreeFile() function to make sure that you do not overwrite an existing handle. Not only this, but you have to remember to close the file after you are done with it.

In some specific cases, you can avoid the trouble by wrapping this functionality inside utility functions.

For example, I wrote the following two functions to go between strings and text files in my apps.

public Function ReadFile(FileName as string) as string

Dim i as Integer
    i = FreeFile

on error GoTo ErrorTrap

Open FileName for input as #i
    ReadFile = input(LOF(i), i)
    Close #i

Exit Function

ErrorTrap:

ReadFile = ""

End Function

public Sub WriteFile(FileName as string, Contents as string)

Dim i as Integer
    i = FreeFile

Open FileName for Output as #i

print #i, Contents
    Close #i

End Sub

Once these functions are in your project, you have a quick way of reading and writing text files. For example, the following code is a weird way of copying text files:

Call WriteFile("c:\b.txt", ReadFile("c:\a.txt"))

Comments

• overwriting

Posted by steved3298 on 09/17/2004 09:35pm

Is there any way to stop the program from writing to the first line and instead writing to the next line w/o text?

• how to implement this code

Posted by Legacy on 06/14/2003 12:00am

Originally posted by: Danny Pryor

this question has already been answered , but here is the answer once again ;

Call WriteFile("c:\myfile.txt")

Call ReadFile("c:\myfile.txt")

• Your code returned false ; this code returns true

Posted by Legacy on 04/02/2003 12:00am

Originally posted by: Danny

Function OpenText(FileDir As String)

Dim i As Integer
    i = FreeFile
    FileExist = Dir(FileDir)
    If FileExist = "" Then
    MsgBox "File Not Found!", vbCritical + vbSystemModal, "Error"
    Exit Function
    End If
    Open (FileDir) For Input As #i
    OpenText = Input(LOF(i), i)
    Close #i
    End Function

• File write

Posted by Legacy on 03/02/2003 12:00am

Originally posted by: rahaman

I am having a doubt in file sysyem object.can you please clarify it please. I have to create a text file in which the datas should be written in specified location and printed using vb code.Please help me.

• Reading and Writing text Files in VB

Posted by Legacy on 01/28/2002 12:00am

Originally posted by: Ignacio Diaz

Tried it and like it very good code. Made my life simpler.
    Thanks...

• Flaw

Posted by Legacy on 03/21/2000 12:00am

Originally posted by: Aaron Wacker

If you read using input, then write using print, you are adding 2 characters to the file so it would be different than the original file. Try running the procedures recursively and you will see what I mean..

Leave a Comment
  • Your email address will not be published. All fields are required.

Top White Papers and Webcasts

• The explosion in mobile devices and applications has generated a great deal of interest in APIs. Today's businesses are under increased pressure to make it easy to build apps, supply tools to help developers work more quickly, and deploy operational analytics so they can track users, developers, application performance, and more. Apigee Edge provides comprehensive API delivery tools and both operational and business-level analytics in an integrated platform. It is available as on-premise software or through …

• Live Event Date: September 10, 2014 @ 11:00 a.m. ET / 8:00 a.m. PT Modern mobile applications connect systems-of-engagement (mobile apps) with systems-of-record (traditional IT) to deliver new and innovative business value. But the lifecycle for development of mobile apps is also new and different. Emerging trends in mobile development call for faster delivery of incremental features, coupled with feedback from the users of the app "in the wild". This loop of continuous delivery and continuous feedback is …

Most Popular Programming Stories

More for Developers

Latest Developer Headlines

RSS Feeds